Saturday, June 27, 2009

Ode to our House

We've loved many things about living here in Gainesville. But our house is probably one of the things I'll miss the most. I feel a little childish talking about leaving the way I do...like it's a great friend that I'll never see again. I've cried about leaving this house. I've lived in lots of different places, but none that have been this special to me.

Everything about it is perfect...I love it's openness, love that it's one story (especially when getting up with a newborn!), I love that it faces west so we get that fabulous natural morning light in the back of the house and that pretty, warm colored light in the evening in the front, it's got great (almost!) floor to ceiling windows (again....all that natural light!), love the neutral paint colors with the exception of the two orange colored accent walls, the yard is amazing...the best in the neighborhood, the back yard makes you feel like you're relaxing at a resort, loved having a fountain in the back yard to listen to over glasses of wine and jazz music at night, love that the patio if right off the kitchen with no steps which meant Ava had the freedom to walk in and out and enjoy the outdoors as she pleased, it also made it possible to enjoy our great backyard...even from the kitchen! LOVE the weather- hot as hell in the summer, but the most perfect winters you could imagine- a totally great combo, and I love that it's on the smaller side...just perfect for the three of us.

And I also love this house because it's where Ava was born. It's where she had her first 2 years of life. She spent her first night here...in her brown and pink room. It's where she woke up every two hours...cause she just couldn't stand to be away from her mama any longer ;) , it's where she learned her letters by writing on the bathtub wall with (washable!) crayons, it's where she learned to crawl, learned to walk, learned to eat and talk. It's where her love for Elmo and The Little Mermaid started. It's where she had long afternoon naps and slept 10 hours a night. It's where she had her first babysitter. It's where she learned to watch birds, it's where she learned to entertain herself by exploring around the backyard for an hour at a time. It's where she had her first Christmas Tree...even though it was 70 degrees outside, it's where she first dyed Easter Eggs and had an Easter Egg hunt. It's where she first learned to dance and "raise the roof!"

It's where Ava grew up. She became a little girl in this house. Sadly, she'll never remember this place...but I'll remember it for her. She'll hear lots of stories about our time here and how it was the most wonderful two years. While living here, we realized that it's the only place that made Patrick and I even consider not returning home and keeping our fabulous life here.

Two nights ago, I put Ava to bed for the last time in her perfect little pink and brown room. After I placed her in her crib, I was playing with her hair and talking about our house. We talked about how great the house has been and what a great room she has. I asked her is she loves her room, and she said, "yeah." We kept talking about how it's been a great house but that she was gonna go to her new house the next day...I started to tear and cry a little, and Ava looked up at me and said,"Mommy, cry." She was so sweet and I explained that I was crying cause I was sad. Her innocence and naiveity about leaving was perfect. She may not have memories from this place, but I'll never let her forget our time here.

We have much to be thankful for, and one of those things is this fantastic house. I only hope that I'll find a house one day that can compare. It'll be very hard.

So, we raise a glass for a toast to this house...To our little Gainesville home- we love you and will never forget the amazing memories that were made here.

Here are some pictures of our house it you wanna see! They're the pictures we took when we put the house on the market.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

MICHEE said...

I know it's really hard for you Meg your just like Daddy in that way. Me not so much. You will have wonderful memories to share with Ava from Fl and lots of pics :). But think of all the new adventures you will share with her and you will have new memories to make with her and a new brother or sister. All will be special just like you. I love you and can't wait until you get here. xoxo mom

Brigette said...

aww! i almost got weepy myself reading about your sweet home and your baby's life there. :-)

i still can't believe you loved the weather. i do NOT miss that about FL. and I grew up there!!